STAND BY ME

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Thursday - Day Ten - 9/17/17 LIVORNO, ITALY

I am not even sure I am spelling it correctly.  That is the port where we stopped on Thursday. We went on very comfortable buses and traveled an hour and a half to Florence.  Funny, it is nothing the way I expected.  It is very pretty - I really liked it - but somehow I pictured it totally different.

We spent some time in Florence.  Very pretty streets, great shops, beautiful cobblestone streets.  We spent a couple of hours walking around Florence and had lunch at a very picturesque cafe.  The food sort of sucked but the ambience was totally italian!  So who cares if the lasagna tasted like paper with cheese?

Did you know the writer of Pinnochio was from Florence?  I didn't either!  But he was and Pinnochio is as big in Florence as the apple is in New York.

We then got back on the bus and traveled an hour to Pisa - a small town with very pretty homes.  It probably has nothing else but the church and the Tower of Pisa - NOTHING  -  but I did get some cute leather purses!

The leaning tower of Pisa is so cool.  It really is leaning and it's amazing that the it is standing at all.  But a little anti-climatic.  I expected to be in the middle of a beautiful Italian square.  Nope.  It's just there, surrounded by a wall, like something that belongs somewhere else and was somehow left behind.

By the time we got back to the boat we were exhausted.  In bed and asleep by 9!

No comments:

Post a Comment