STAND BY ME

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

ELIZABETH EDWARDS

I have always been fervently anti-politics.  The hypocritical life they live, the scandals, the lack of ethics... a virtual laundry list of why I don't care for politics or politicians.

I am sure there are "good" ones out there... they just seem to get drowned out by the noise created by the "bad" ones.

But the death of Elizabeth Edwards today... that was something else.  Granted, she was not the politician - her husband, John Edwards was (or is I presume).  Her death touched me not because I knew her or even much about her - but because in the little I did know, I saw an unfailing class and equanimity in the face of so much scandal;  I saw so much strength and integrity in response to so much embarrassment, that I find her death at only 61 to be quite sad.

As a woman, a mother and a public figure she showed an unbelievable strength of character.  Despite her Husband's very public affair and fathering of a child, her focus was never on HERSELF; on how it made HER look.  Her focus was always on her family - the impact this would have on her children, her home.

I found her ability to actually forgive and empathize with her husband - to refuse to badmouth him or his lover despite being goaded at every turn - quite remarkable.

As a woman, I admire her strength and I feel that women like Elizabeth Edwards deserve to be recognized by women in general as one very classy lady.

As for John Edwards?  Well, he will just have to live with himself wont he?

May she rest in peace.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post Elena. She died too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way as you do Elena about Elizabeth Edwards. It really hit me hard for some reason. What a courageous woman who held her head so high while fighting cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto! Her life was all about grace and dignity...she kind of reminded me of Jackie Kennedy...very sad, but she leaves a good legacy...

    ReplyDelete