STAND BY ME

Sunday, October 7, 2012

LACE JOURNAL PROJECT

My friend Sox invited me to join her and a few of our friends in a lace journal round robin.  I have seen Sox's lace journals and have been the recipient of a lace journal gift from her and absolutely LOVE them.  As seems to be the case recently, this is a first for me.

So..... I pulled out a sewing machine I bought over a year ago and that was still sealed in the box!  I spent some time figuring it out - but I understood enough to get started.

I wanted the journal to be totally fabric - soft.  I didn't want to put water color paper or anything else between the fabric to make it hard/stiff.  At the same time I wanted the spine to be stiff so that the pages can be sewn it at the end of the round robin.

So, this is what I did:

My book is going to be 8x10.  I cut a piece of fabriano paper to 10 1/2" by 20 1/2"  (if you fold the pages over it gives you the two 8" pages and 4 inches for the spine (the template).

Then I used that "template" to cut two pieces of muslin, one for the front cover and one for the back cover.  I then joined both sides with thin batting in between.  (In hindsight, I should have done the front cover first, then the back cover and THEN joined them).

I put yellow lace around the inside of the album then covered both sides of the book with some pretty eyelet fabric.


 I played around with some ideas I was not happy with at all.



Finally ended up with this as a front cover for the journal.  Much more simple than all of Sox's examples but it works for me.  I printed out a picture of a vintage parisian woman on fabric and put it on the front cover of the journal.


Don't  you LOVE this???


 This is the back page of the journal.


The 4" spine with give the journal a lot of room to grow since the pages are all quite bulky.



Tomorrow I may attempt to do my first page (which when folded in half will be two!).

1 comment:

  1. That is totally fantastic. My, you must have a really good teacher, but I think most of the genius is yours. That looks really great! Hats to you.

    ReplyDelete