STAND BY ME

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thank you my sweet friend

I received this today from my friend Mario.  It is absolutely beautiful.  I had never read this before and I have read it 10 times since he sent it.  These words make my guilt over my decision with Dixie much easier.

Thank you cookie.


If it should be that I grow weak,
and pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
but don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
what is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so...
the time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
but please stay with me 'til the end.
To hold me close and speak to me,
until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
it was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I am saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
don't let your heart hold any tears.


My prayers are with you in this time of grief, may the Lord ease your pain and surround you with love.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. impossible to read without crying!!!whew..
    Mario is so sweet to have sent this to you!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena
    This so touched my heart. Both of us have had difficult decisions to make regarding our darling furbabies and this is a wonderful poem.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  3. from the heart..and oh,so true!
    i hope Mario's poem brought you comfort,knowing that you showed your baby just how much you loved her..you loved her enough to put your need for her aside,and end her suffering.
    i hope you find comfort in the memories of your beloved Dixie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful!
    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Elena,

    this indeed brings tears in my eyes too...
    It's sad to let a lovely animal go, but it's good that you can relieve her from the pain and the endless situation.
    It's sad that people don't have the same rights when they are suffering...

    It's an act of love...

    greetings from belgium
    Inge

    ReplyDelete